How Hidden Spy Cameras Work
May 28, 2012 Spy Gagets
There is really no big mystery to a hidden spy camera. All you need is a common everyday item, anything smaller than an animal should suffice. The key is to find an item that will not raise suspicion or draw too much attention. If you want to find out if your husband is alone when he comes home for lunch, hide your spy cam in a big red-nosed clown doll duct taped to the head of your bed. All you need is a little common sense to come up with a perfect place to put your camera so no one will ever know they are being watched.
Next, a fixed lens that is mounted to a circuit board called a board camera is inserted into the discreet item of your choice. The hidden spy camera is then connected to a VCR or DVR with a regular RCA cable. Wireless cameras will feature a transmitter that sends a signal to a receiver.
That is all there is to it, just that simple. Either you can assemble your own or you can shop online at the many retailers offering a wide variety of the best hidden spy cams at competitive prices. If you order your spy cam preassembled, all you have to do is connect it and you are set.
How to Install a Hidden Camera
You do not have to be tech savvy in order to install a hidden spy camera. Just read the instructions that come with your particular model and you will find installing your hidden camera easier than you ever imagined.
For hidden spy cameras with a wire:
- Turn the spy cam on when you connect the power supply to the camera. These wires are generally found on the back of the camera.
- Connect the camera to the recording device of your choice, ensuring that the device is connected to a TV or monitor. Then you should be able to use the remote control to find the camera signal, usually by pressing "Input", "Input Select" or "AUX".
For wireless hidden spy cameras:
- The camera/transmitter will power on when you plug the "house" power cord into a wall outlet. The camera does not require any other connections because it is powered internally.
- Adjust the video input on your recording device just as you would with a wired camera.
- Connect your receiver to a 12V power supply, usually a black box that has a white arrow on the side of it. Turn on the power switch. You will know you have done everything correctly when you see the LED indicator light.
- Connect the receiver to your recording device and you should be able to view images from up to 1000 feet in the distance.
That is all there is to setting up a hidden spy camera. Most people choose to mount multiple cameras. Be sure to do your research online to find the hidden cam that is best for you.
Hidden spy cameras can be embedded into several different everyday items that will not draw unwanted attention to your surveillance operation. Spy cams can be concealed in cigarette packs, clocks, radios, plants, etc. If you chose, you can buy a spy cam and put it in an object you already have, drawing even less attention.
Hidden spy cameras can be set up and left unattended to accurately record events in your absence. Spy cams are one of the most popular spy gadgets and are available for purchase at a variety of retail stores.
Hidden spy cams can also be placed in cars to assist real time GPS tracking devices in pursing a subject. In the next article, you will learn how you can benefit from vehicle tracking, so let us keep going.